Its Fun To Be A Girl in Austin

iftbaglogo

Hi!  My name is Katie, and I am Devin’s happy wife and am posting today at his invitation to tell each of you about Its Fun To Be A Girl, a ministry that I direct, by the grace of God.

Its Fun To Be A Girl is a ministry for young women, ages 21-35, that helps them dive into the theology of the body by applying it to every aspect of feminine life, from hormones to mascara and exercise to vocation discernment.  Our motto is “Discover. Rejoice. Launch.”  Discover God’s plan for your feminine self.  Rejoice at the beauty that the Father has bestowed on you.  Launch to evangelize culture through your feminine radiance.

IFTBAG is hosting a workshop for single young women on April 19 and 20 at St. Theresa’s Catholic parish, and the registration fee is $30.  You can sign up here.

We will begin on Friday evening, April 19, at 6:45 with tea-tails and great conversation; the evening will include a reflection on God’s plan for our feminine beauty, as well as a make-up tutorial from Mary Kay consultant, Samantha Kress.  Then, we will close with a personal testimony and prayer, but you won’t head home without your bedtime snack of cookies and milk.

Saturday morning, we start early at 7:45 with a fashion presentation with Allison from Taylor-Moseley, who will offer tips on classy outfits that flatter various body types, and then keep the momentum going with a hormone health presentation with Abby Johnson, NaPro educator and pro-life lady extraordinaire.  Participants will learn why the Pill is not their friend.  They will learn why they must give themselves to find themselves.  They will learn what they deserve in a holy and chaste marriage, and they will learn why yoga is really Hindu missionary activity.

The day will include time to make new friends and plan future DIY groups and website1will culminate with Jesus.  Jesus, dear girls, is the best listener and lover in the entire world, and His love is the reason that Its Fun To Be A Girl exists, and we will lay everything at His pierced feet during Adoration.  We will end this exciting day with a champagne and strawberries party and launch each of you into the world to be a beacon of light, beauty, and truth.

Are you ready to register?  I am so excited to meet each of you!  Please e-mail me with any questions at katie@itsfuntobeagirl.com or hop onto the Contact page and drop me a note that way.

This entry was posted in Catholic Life, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Its Fun To Be A Girl in Austin

1. Congratulations Katie! Looking forward to the details following the event. I love what you are doing here. Glory be to God! Cindy

p.s. What does “learn why yoga is really Hindu missionary activity” mean? I can’t tell if that is a good thing or a bad thing. :)

• Katie says:

Thanks for clarifying, Cindy. I meant that yoga is not good for women, even though it is such a fad right now. It is a Hindu form of spirituality, despite what any says to the contrary, and is designed to lead practitioners to their innermost selves, where they release their kundalini. I studied Hinduism in India during my undergrad days and learned these things from Hindu yogis; I became very confused about religion and walked away as barely a Christian, but, thanks be to God, Our Lord brought me back to the Truth and freedom of Jesus Christ.

• Thank you Katie! My son’s school let one of the Moms come into the classroom to teach the first graders yoga as a relaxation technique. This is a Catholic school! You are doing a great service by informing Catholics about it. Cindy

• Katie says:

That’s so bad, Cindy, though not surprising. Yoga is very much a fad right now. But, if we look at what is happening with the direction that yoga takes. First, yoga. Then, visit an ashram. Then, visit an ashram in India. Then, get a small figure of Ganesha–“I mean, we don’t really believe in all these gods but I just like this cute elephant…but…” Then, we start to attribute power to the Ganesha idol. Then, we start to visit the Hindu temple.

2. Bad thing.

Hinduism has false gods. A lot of them!

3. Jenni says:

So you’re asking women to sit through a presentation by a cosmetic “consultant” who presumably sells cosmetics on commission, and a fashion presentation by someone who sells jewelry and fashion consultations? And then you’re telling them that yoga (which does derive from a Hindu culture) is a nefarious plot to undermine Christianity and our Western way of life?

• Katie says:

Dear dear Jenni, wow, you sound angry and sneering. Is that your intention? I’d be happy to explain more about Its Fun To Be A Girl but will not do so if you intent to mock me or the program. Let me know if you’d like me to explain more? God bless.

Jenni, Katie is having these people come because they are experts in their field. Make-up person talks about make-up. Mary Kay allows women to work from home and I think is a generally positive organization.

This is not some big money-making scheme (let me assure you), as the registration costs rarely cover the expenses: materials, gift bags that Katie makes up to give to the attendees, speaker fees, etc. My (Devin’s) job covers what is left over, along with the cost of the website design, hosting, etc.

Katie will reply above about yoga. We have many friends, including Christians, who do it. Personally, I don’t think it is a “nefarious plot,” as if some person out there is cackling that she has undermined “our Western way of life” with Hinduism via the Trojan horse of yoga. At the same time, I don’t pretend that yoga is culture or religion neutral, because it is not. Even if people just do it “for stretching and exercise,” there are other, better ways to do it that do not have connections to Eastern mysticism.

The tone of your comment sounds snide and suspicious. Not sure if you intended that, or if you have some beef with me or my wife. In any case, if you respond, please respond giving us the benefit of the doubt.

• Silica says:

Devin and Katie,

Although I wouldn’t use the tone of the other commenter, I will echo the sentiment towards Mary Kay. I used to be a so-called “consultant” for them. The company uses what’s called multi-level marketing, same as Quixstar (now Amway) and others. It’s a pyramid scheme using overpriced cosmetics as a front.

Pinktruth.org has some great information.

• Silica says:

Correction: It’s pinktruth.com.

Thanks Silica. I don’t follow Mary Kay much but don’t doubt that it is a multi-level marketing business, like many others. I’m not a huge fan of that but think it can be done in a non-pushy way as well.

That said, the goal of course is to help women who want to look their loveliest wear make-up in a way that accentuates their beauty. (These are my words.) So whoever is invited hopefully has that skill. Thanks for all your great comments!

• Silica says:

I definitely think that the goal of teaching women how to wear makeup well is a great one. I just know that these types of events are the kind that MK consultants are taught to pursue aggressively for both sales and recruitment (the latter being how corporate really makes their money – they could care less how much is actually sold by consultants because from their end the consultant is the real “end consumer.”)

I’m sorry to be a Debbie Downer because I think the overall event is fantastic and includes a lot of great elements, but I would not be surprised at all if this particular portion becomes a sales pitch. It’s true that an individual consultant may not take that approach, but if she doesn’t, then she’s ignoring her training and she’s probably not making any money (you have to be very pushy to make money, and the selling and recruiting tactics are very manipulative.) I didn’t realize until I had been doing it for months that I had been essentially brainwashed (former consultants often call it “the pink fog.”)

I don’t doubt that there are other women out there who think this is a great idea, but see the MLM involvement and become hesitant.

Silica,

That is good feedback for Katie for future events she plans. As it turns out, we are likely moving to our new farmhouse and land on the day of the event(!), so it may end up getting postponed or rescheduled for the summertime anyways, and that would be a good time to take stock of who is invited to come.

I became a Young Living essential oil “independent distributor,” and it is the same kind of thing: you want to get people to sign up under you, etc. However we just did it to get the wholesale prices on oils, oils which we find useful. I don’t like the “networking marketing” model and am very sensitive to people pushing me to buy more/sign people up. So I don’t do that, but as a result as you mentioned, I don’t make money via Young Living. For me, that is fine, as I have a full-time job doing software development and we don’t need any more than that, but I know for others, they have made it their livelihood and so they have to push it.

Thanks again and God bless!

• Katie says:

Dear Silica,

Thanks so much for letting me know about Mary Kay. I had no idea that it was a pyramid scheme; I was under the impression that Mary Kay was a business that allowed stay-at-home mothers to make supplemental income and wanted to support what I thought was a positive business.

What I don’t want to do is turn IFTBAG into a makeup buying party for Mary Kay consultants, and I am so glad that you’ve pointed this out. With that said, I do need a guest speaker who is knowledgeable about makeup trends and application tips. Hmm. Do you think that a makeup artist could offer the same information? I’d love your feedback. Thanks,

Katie

• Silica says:

I think a makeup artist would be a great idea. For one thing, she would have a lot more real training in cosmetics! I am not sure about the best way to find one – actually, if there are cosmetology schools around, they might be good places to call.

The one thing you might run into is paying some sort of fee, but I would think you could find someone good who wouldn’t really pitch anything besides handing out her business card at the end (or her contact info could be among whatever other handouts are provided.)

(And I’m not surprised that you didn’t know about MK. That is exactly the message they want to send out to get recruits.)