Verbum Plus Power

verbum1I just upgraded my copy of Logos’ Verbum Bible Software to Verbum Plus and wanted to tell you about the new version.

Verbum is the Catholic version of Logos Bible Software, a powerful program that lets you instantly access an enormous storehouse of resources. This is the best Scripture, Catechism, Church Fathers, and Church document study software, hands-down. Verbum Plus is the new edition of this program. I’ll be discussing the features of Verbum Plus Master package, but each of the packages is powerful.

Here’s my friend Andrew Jones, who heads up the Catholic division of Logos, showing you the new features:

The new Liturgical Layout is excellent, because it focuses the user experience around how we as Catholics think and pray through each day. We start with the daily readings, which Verbum Plus displays right on the home page. Clicking on one opens up that passage of Scripture and the Roman Missal.

Related to this, the Saints database shows you the saint for the day. Today’s St. Andrew! Click on the link and get tons of information about the saint, including their image if one exists.

One reminder of a great feature of this software: you can choose which Bible translation you want Verbum Plus to show you. I prefer Douay-Rheims but also often want to see what the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) says. Bingo, all the readings for the day and any passages I look up during study time are in my preferred translation.

The biggest awesomeness added in Verbum Plus is the Catholic Topical Index. The Verbum folks spend untold hours going through the Bible, Church Fathers, Catechism, Church documents, and other great Catholic writings and tagging the various verses, passages, paragraphs, and chapters with keywords for important topics. Think Justification, Baptism, Confession, Faith, Sanctification, etc.

You type in a passage into the box, hit the Go button, and you have a direct list to the Bible passages that reference the topic, as well as the Church Fathers, the Catechism, canon law, papal encyclicals, Aquinas’ writings and those of other saints, plus important scholars from Denziger to Scott Hahn. You simply cannot find anything like this elsewhere. It’s the kind of thing, like inventing Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress, that I dreamed of doing had I an infinite amount of time and no other responsibilities. Before I had Verbum I had several different resources, online and otherwise, that I would try to mine for this information, and at best I could only find one-tenth of it.

Here’s more of this great feature in action:

Verbum Plus is not a $49.99 software package. It costs more because it is worth more. Check out the different packages you can buy for Verbum Plus, with a comparison chart so you can see what you value most and buy what you need. For this weekend only (through 12/1/2013), use code VERBUMBLACKFRIDAY to get 15% off your purchase of Verbum Plus. That includes a new purchase or an upgrade if you have an older edition.

For Catholic apologists, this is an indispensable resource. I sometimes feel it is almost like cheating to have access to it. For priests and deacons, it is invaluable. For regular Catholics who want to read, study, and learn more about their Faith, it is incredible. Tell your wife you don’t want anything for Christmas or your next birthday and have her buy this for you.

This entry was posted in Faith and Reason, Technical and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Verbum Plus Power

FWIW, the Verbum mobile app is not as good or as Catholic as the Ignatius mobile app (v. http://bit.ly/1cSKSJs or http://bit.ly/1cSL37q ).

Interesting Augustine. I have not used any of the mobile apps, Verbum or Ignatius. Hopefully Verbum will beef up their mobile app as time goes on, and if they do I don’t think even Ignatius will be able to outdo them.

• JeffB says:

Wondered if you could comment more in depth on what you mean by “not as good.” Do you mean the free app has fewer study tools or that if you purchase say the Master or Capstone Verbum package and then try to use it on your ipad, that it somehow doesn’t work smoothly or as expected?

Thanks
      JeffB

• Augustine says:

For starters, free Verbum app had too few Catholic versions to choose from and lacked the most common (NAB) or the top ones (e.g. RSV); it also lacked the current Vulgate.

The free Ignatius app has only one translation, the RSV, but at least it comes with quite good commentaries in pop-ups. It is also a vehicle to sell their books, and could provide more content, like papal documents and saint of the day, which the paid Verbum app provides.

While I appreciate that the Verbum app provides quick references to the original languages, for someone without scholarly aspirations like me, the Ignatius app was more convenient for a layman’s study and meditation.

• JeffB says:

OK, thank you for taking the time to reply with extra detail.

Peace,
          JeffB

• Andrew says:

While the Ignatius app is very good, I think you are somewhat comparing apples and oranges. The Verbum app comes for free with a substantial library, including the RSVCE, the DR, the Clementine Vulgate, multiple Greek and Hebrew texts, topical Bibles, the famous Denzinger collection of the sources of Catholic dogma, the Lectionary, the pictorial lives of the saints and much more. Also when you buy more books, they integrate into your app. All these texts are tied together just like in the desktop, so with a simple search you can see every time a certain Bible verse is cited in Denzinger, for example. You can also do Bible world studies. You can also create notes documents and use multiple highlighter tools. You can also form groups with other users, share reading plans, and type messages and comments to each other right in the text you are reading. So, I guess what I’m saying is that if you just want to read the Bible and have a great note set, Ignatius is great. Verbum though is built for a different reason and does different things.

2. JeffB says:

Follow up, I went ahead and purchased the top package from Verbum (the Capstone package) and use it on my ipad. It’s fantastic and I couldn’t recommend it more highly for those interested in that type of study. Everything is seamlessly integrated with hyperlinks, you can download resources you’ve purchased onto your ipad so offline reading/study is easy, resource list is immense. Thanks for the idea, Devin, in this post.

Peace,